Monday, December 10, 2007

Night Shots - Help!

When you have a husband who is not interested in picture taking, you take on assignments at stop lights. Totally boring..........keep scrolling...............

I thought this was a cool mistake, I have no idea what I was trying to take a picture of :)
I totally wanted to get out of the car and get a good picture of this "Made in Oregon" sign. Every Christmas they light up the nose on the deer. It used to be the logo for White Stag. Since Bill wouldn't let me stop on the bridge (especially since one lane was closed for construction) you get a partial sign. Maybe some day someone will move to Oregon that will walk the streets with me at night :) If you enlarge the picture, you'll see Rudolph's red nose.
1/2x f/3.5, ISO 400
1/60s, f5.0, ISO: 400
This was a bicycle shop that had bikes lit up all across the top of their store...I thought it was neat, however...........................
As you'll quickly see, I need help with night shots. Even though my camera (Digital Rebel XT) has auto settings for night mode, I cannot capture good night scenery. Besides getting out a tripod and putting it on a low shutter speed, can you help me?


5 comments:

Jane F. Smith said...

The signs are great actually and the streaks on the mistake that you called it is really neat!!! I'm the wrong person to give advise on taking the night shots...I have to experiment a lot!!

cherie said...

have alot to learn about night shots myslef. you got some good ones here!

Anonymous said...

I think these turned out pretty great! I love the pictures of the signs. I need more night shot practice myself, I tried to do this challenge and failed miserably..lol. Great shots!!

kimB said...

I'd love to give you some great technical instructions, Kathi, but I'm pretty clueless myself.

For what it's worth - I rarely use the night mode on my camera and prefer to use either the landscape mode (the mountain icon) or the macro mode (have NO idea why this sometimes works!) 99% of the night photos I share on my blog were hand-held and used the landscape mode.

These are great shots, though! I love the "accidental streak" shot the most, but you also did well with the car signs from the stoplight :) If I lived near you, I'd love to go walking with you - day or night!

TFS - kimB

Anonymous said...

Count me in as one of the clueless!
I love the streaky one. Accident or not, its pretty cool!